"Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening. " ~Coco Chanel





Wednesday, November 17, 2010

I've created a monster

This morning as I was getting dressed in what I thought was a super cute outfit with all the markings of winter prep (see yesterday's blog) the Blue Chip Kid (that would be my husband) says to me, "I'm not sure I like that sweater, maybe it needs a belt." The following conversation went something like this....



Me: What do you mean you don't like my sweater? btw the sweater in question is my brand new jcrew olive cardigan, so cute.







Blue Chip Kid: I mean, I just don't think it does much for your outfit.



Me: (silence...as I am stunned with no words)


Blue Chip Kid: I just don't think its quite right with that outfit, try something else on.


Me: (still stunned, my train of thought went something like this....what else could I wear with this? Maybe a blazer. Wait a minute... I love this sweater and what does the Blue Chip Kid know about fashion anyways?? I basically dress him head to toe every day. Did I just enter a parallel universe where the blue chip kid knows fashion, gives advice on my wardrobe and tells me what to wear? Horrified I chose to ignore) Then I say, thanks for your opinion but I like my outfit.






Blue Chip Kid: Well could you at least iron that sweater then, I think it looks a little creased.





Me: no.





Then we both left for work.






Later I reflected on how this could have happened.


When I met the Blue Chip Kid, back in college, he wore over sized shirts and a shell necklace....I know what you're thinking...how did you get mixed up in that? Well he happens to be quite a stud, my husband, handsome and smart to boot. He whisked me off my feet with talk of philosophy, art and politics. Later after the marriage I slowly but surely changed his wardrobe by giving him the tools to great style....clothes that are tailored, interesting and made of natural fibers! Since I gave him the tools he now must think he's the Dr. (style Dr. that is.) I should have seen the signs, growing out his hair, asking me things like can we go to Brooks Brothers, or can I borrow your blow dryer? What!!!? Now he's telling me just what he thinks as if he has THE GIFT. Well I don't think so. Don't try that again sweetie or I'll tell everyone how you used to wear a backwards visor.




Don't mess.


~S

Me and the Blue Chip Kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment