"Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening. " ~Coco Chanel





Friday, December 9, 2011

How to stay warm and keep your dignity

I'm 29 years old. I live in Minnesota. The average temperature is 6 degrees this time of year. I love my husband. I moved here willingly for him...or at least I kind of remember doing something like that. This is the mantra I have to repeat to myself on a morning like today when I wake to the mind-numbing cold that waits at my doorstep. It's winter again in Minnesota. At least as of now the holidays are here and no one has seen the senselessness to this cold because White Christmases are nostalgic. But soon, the Christmas lights will come down, the Christmas tree thrown out in the garbage heap and the only thing left....you guessed it.... the cold. Oh yeah, and the snow and ice and that gross blue salt that is sprinkled everywhere. How do we get through it? We wrap ourselves up as best we can and wear ugly shoes instead of the pretty ones that make walking fun. Its sad. Every year I struggle with this decision to join in or opt out...do I choose function or form? Will I dress for warmth or will I wear what I like?
This year I refuse to don the shapeless parka and clunky snow boot that characterizes a northerners wardrobe this time of year. There must be a better way, as I have no intentions of moving to California any time soon, and a cute outfit will help me bear this burden more becomingly. I'm determined that those of us who face this horrible weather should have another alternative.....fashionable and functional winter wear. Does such a thing exist?
Join me on my hunt.
The Riding boot: The style is so classic and now the material so warm and weather-proof! Check out the following styles from Ugg, Hunter and Burberry. Hunter also make fleece inserts to wear inside for warmth and comfort!
A Fur Coat: If you've never tried one on, you don't know what you are missing. Its the way God intended us to keep warm! And it really works! Pair one of these with long leather gloves, a patterned scarf and a knit cap and you will stay toasty all day. If you are opposed to real fur, the faux fur options at retailers such as Nordrom are not only really warm but easy on the pocket book.
Shown in order: Michael Kors, Oscar de la Renta, Vintage and Nordstrom faux fur.
Shopping tip: The fur I purchased was vintage and therefore has a unique feel, stop by your locale vintage retailers and tell them what you are looking for and in what size...you'll be the first one they call when it comes in:)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment